Driver’s Reign of Terror Ends at Fla. Truck Stop

The beginning of the end came in August 2014 when a 40-year-old woman jumped out the window of the cabin of an 18-wheeler at a truck stop in Medley, Florida. She asked some civilians in the area for help.

The crowd gathered around her and police arriving at the scene noticed that she had bruises all over her body, two black eyes, and she was bleeding from the nose and ear.

The victim recounted to law enforcement officers a tale of physical and psychological abuse, as well as the sexual battery inflicted on her over the course of several days she was held captive by driver Timothy John Miers, 47, as he drove from Boston to South Florida. Miers’ iPhone contained a number of photographs of the bruised and battered victim that he took while she was held and terrorized.

Sexual degradation video

There was also a video showing the sexual degradation and assault of the victim. Miers, a Florida resident, stated his intention on the video to subject her to a life of sexual slavery and daily beatings. He told the woman that he had beaten and killed other women before.

At Miers’ trial, two other women testified that they had been romantically involved with him until he became violent and abusive. Miers’ ex-wife testified that he confined, repeatedly beat, raped and degraded her. She also testified that Miers forced her to urinate in a bucket instead of in a toilet and sometimes refused to give her food unless she complied with all of his demands. He also threatened to kill his ex-wife and her daughter if she ever tried to escape.

The last act of violence the defendant inflicted on his ex-wife was a punch to the face that resulted in a fractured orbital socket and other injuries. Another former girlfriend was similarly beaten in the face by Miers when she tried to leave his vehicle against his command.

Fast moving vehicle

One of his victims, also an ex-girlfriend, had been confined in a vehicle by Miers. She tried to escape by throwing herself from the fast-moving vehicle into oncoming traffic. Several bystanders saw what happened and offered assistance while she screamed that Miers was going to kill her.

In evidence not admitted at trial, another woman was reported missing after being last seen with Miers. Some of the missing woman’s blood was found behind some baseboards in the bathroom of Miers’ apartment. She has never been found and no charges have been filed relating to her disappearance.

After the trial that lasted a week, a jury convicted Miers of kidnapping and interstate domestic violence. At sentencing, Miers faces up to life in prison for kidnapping and up to 10 years imprisonment on each count of interstate domestic violence.

Add Comment