Indiana Man Busted for Witness Tampering

Go back for a moment to February 26, 2014. That’s when law enforcement authorities arrested a woman, Jennifer Gaddy, for the distribution of methamphetamine.

A few weeks later, the woman’s son confronted the confidential informant who had purchased the methamphetamine from Gaddy in the Mars Hill area of Indianapolis, Indiana. He told the informant that he knew the informant’s cooperation had led to Gaddy’s arrest and threatened to kill him.

The son produced a sawed-off shotgun from his vehicle and pointed it at the informant. The son then raised the shotgun into the air and discharged a round from the weapon. He then repeated his threat to kill the informant.

Not long after, law enforcement located the sawed-off shotgun at a residence in Mars Hill. Also found were photographs of the son posing with the sawed-off shotgun that he had posted on his Facebook page.

Much earlier, in 2012, the son had been found not guilty by a jury on charges stemming from a double homicide in Indianapolis.

This time, Logan Mediate, 21, of Indianapolis, was sentenced to 13 years in prison by U.S. District Judge Tanya Walton Pratt following his guilty plea to tampering with a witness and possession of a sawed-off shotgun in furtherance of a crime of violence.

Mediate was also sentenced to five years of supervised release upon his release from incarceration.

Man Makes Death Threats Against U.S. Attorney

On May 7, 2014, U.S. Attorney Rosa Emilia Rodriguez Velez of the District of Puerto Rico received a threatening letter. It stated, in part, written in the Spanish language, “I want to inform the federal court that Rosa Emilia Rodriguez has a few days to announce her resignation or she will pay with her life.”

The letter was sent with a return address of the Ponce Correctional Facilities in Puerto Rico.

Months later, a telephone call was made to the FBI’s San Juan Office. A man spouted threats to cause bodily harm and death to Rodriguez Velez.

Three more telephone calls were made to the 911 emergency system, U.S. attorney’s office, and the FBI office in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The calls were threatening in nature and directed toward Rodriguez Velez.

A voice-mail was also left at the U.S. attorney’s office. It contained the following message in Spanish:

“Rosa Emilia, it’s me, Jose Villafane-Cotto; remember I am after you and I’m searching for you. Please remember that. Don’t think that because I’m inside I can’t be outside. I’ll leave you with that. I know where you are and where you are going. I am not going to tell you anything else. I left you a very clear message. I hope you have received my letters. In an alerted war, nobody dies.”

In February 2015, Jose Villafane-Cotto was charged with mailing a threatening communication and threatening a federal official. Thereafter, the custody of Villafane-Cotto was transferred from Ponce Correctional Facilities to the Metropolitan Detention Center in Guaynabo.

If convicted, the defendant faces up to a maximum of 15 years in prison.

Add Comment